On view now through September, 2022
Remembering Storytown (miSci’s latest Lecture Gallery exhibit) features amazing vintage photos and some memorabilia from the park.
Storytown originally opened in 1954 near Lake George, New York, with rides and attractions based on a fairy tale theme. In the 1970s, founder Charley Wood began adding thrill rides that appealed to adults, including the park’s first roller coaster and the Desperado Plunge, a water ride that culminates with a 50-foot drop.
In 1982 a new name, The Great Escape, reflected a growing park that in the next decade added a water park, the Steamin’ Demon inverted coaster, and The Comet, a large wooden coaster.
Today, the park is known as Six Flags Great Escape, and features 135 rides and attractions. While some early attractions were updated or replaced, the park still retains many of its early features and the spirit of its founder.