Play! utilizes miSci’s collections to explore the evolution of play over time, focusing on outdoor recreation. Traditionally, play prepared children for adult roles. With the development of the electrical industry and the second industrial revolution, families started to gain more time for leisure activities. That additional time helped give rise to professional sports and popularized fantasy. Featured objects will include:
- A 1947 champion Soap Box Derby car.
- A three-wheeled tricycle from the 1870s.
- A penny-farthing bicycle that was the first vehicle to travel over Schenectady’s Western Gateway Bridge.
- Charles Steinmetz’s ice skates.
- A 19th-century ironclad toy ship.
- Dolls dating back to the 19th century.
- Autographed baseballs from Capital Region minor league baseball teams.